It’s that time again! School is out, the sun is shining, and it’s the perfect time to make sure your home is ready for summer, inside and out. 1st Choice Home Repairs believes in being prepared for whatever comes, including long summers that often reach triple-digit temperatures. If you suspect that your air conditioning unit might not be able to keep up with the blazing heat, give us a call so we can come out and get it working right!
1st Choice offers a full range of home inspection and repair services, including heating and cooling systems. We will happily come out and make sure all of your home’s systems are summer-ready.
When you’re maintaining a home, preventive maintenance is key. It’s far better to prevent problems from occurring than it is to pay for repairs and replacements later on. Here are some things you should do every summer to keep your home in great working order.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are working and replace the batteries if necessary.
- Have your air conditioner inspected and serviced. It’s about to work hard keeping your home cool through a Texas summer, so hire a professional inspector to make sure it’s up to the task. At the very least, change out your air filters to keep your home air quality good.
- Clean and inspect your ceiling fans. Test them to make sure they are properly balanced and in good working order. Make sure your fan blades are spinning counterclockwise to push cool air down and throughout your home.
- Have your chimney professionally cleaned to get rid of the buildup it accrued during fall and winter.
- Give your showerheads a good scrubbing and replace them if needed.
- In the bathroom, make sure your fan vents and drains are clean and clear and that the sink and tub drain at a good speed. Check to make sure your toilet flushes efficiently. If your drains are slow, they could require snaking or hydro-jetting to bust up stubborn clogs.
- Clean your wall baseboards and molding. While you’re at it, check the walls for any signs of cracking, discoloration, peeling or sagging paint, or moisture and mildew. Call in a professional if you see signs of water damage.
- Check your attic for leaks, moisture damage, and signs of pest infestation.
- Clean your dryer vent and exhaust duct. Clean out all the lint and debris you find. These can become a fire hazard if left to accumulate.
- Inspect your home’s exterior for holes or loose and rotten siding. Openings invite critters to come take up residence in your home, so make sure your house is sealed. Inspect the caulking around windows and doors to make sure insects can’t get in.
- Examine your porch, patio or deck for loose nails, wood rot, or water damage. Call 1st Choice Home Repairs to assess and fix any damage you find.
- Check the seal on exterior woodwork. You can do this by testing to see if water beads on the surface of the wood or if it seeps in. If it beads, your seal is still watertight.
- Wash or replace exterior door and window screens.
- Mulch your plants and trim back trees and vegetation around your house and outdoor A/C unit.
- Check your hoses and outdoor faucets for leaks.
- Check your gutters and downspouts. They should be cleaned 1 to 2 times a year to prevent water damage to your roof and walls.
- Get a professional roof inspection. It could save you time and money in the future.
Make 1st Choice Your First Call for Home Repairs and Inspections
Preventative maintenance is the best way to keep your house in great shape. We want you to get the most enjoyment from your home for as long as possible. When you’re doing summer home maintenance, call our friendly team for a free estimate to repair any damage you find. We’re always happy to help!